A Catholic wedding may be held in the UMSL Provincial House Chapel under the conditions of the below policy.
Archdiocese of St. Louis
Wedding Policy for UMSL Catholic Newman Center
September 22, 2009
The Provincial House Chapel (formerly the Daughters of Charity Motherhouse Chapel) is the site for the Sunday evening celebration of the Eucharist for the UMSL Catholic Newman Center community. Many students and some faculty/staff experience this Chapel and faith community as their “parish” during their college/graduate years. It is to these students and faculty/staff that this policy is addressed.
The following requirements must be met for a Catholic (or a Catholic couple) to use the Provincial House Chapel to celebrate the sacrament of marriage.
- The first requirement for a Catholic to be married in the Provincial House Chapel at UMSL is that the individual or individuals be practicing Catholics.
- The Bride or Groom or both must be currently enrolled at UMSL as undergraduate or graduate student(s), or must have graduated from UMSL in the last four years, or must currently be a faculty or staff member at UMSL.
- The parties aforementioned must be members of the UMSL Newman Center community, having attended Masses on a regular basis, either at the Newman Center or at the Provincial House Chapel, thus establishing their relationship to this faith community. One semester of involvement establishes membership in the Newman Community.
- The parties must follow the Marriage Policy of the Archdiocese of St. Louis, which is to be provided to the couple by the priest or deacon who is responsible for marriage preparation.
- Permission(s) must be obtained from the pastors where the parties have a domicile. The letter granting permission should testify to the party’s regular attendance at Mass. If the Catholic Party (Parties) reside(s) on campus, permission from the Director of the Newman Center, who is the pastor of St. Ann Parish, suffices.
- Delegation for each wedding shall be obtained from the Pastor of St. Ann Parish, within whose boundaries the Provincial House Chapel exists.
- The officiating priest shall ensure that all the necessary Sacramental preparation is done in accordance with Archdiocesan Policy. In addition, it is the responsibility of the officiating priest to ensure that all paperwork, permissions, and dispensations are obtained and subsequently recorded and filed at St. Ann Parish, 7530 Natural Bridge Road, Normandy, MO 63121.
- The only exception to the above rules would be in the event of a marriage with a Dispensation from Canonical Form for due and valid reason.